So, a busy week for us at Clipmarks that culminated in a number of things being uploaded this afternoon.
- New header: We have simplified the site header dramatically. Rather than continuing to fork the site into two viewing modes, all header links will now keep you in the Classic View. We have concluded that the clip widget (formerly known as clipcast) is best suited for showcasing or following clips on other web sites, as opposed to being an alternative viewing mode on clipmarks.com. So, when you’re logged in you’ll now see simple links to All Clippers, My Clippers and My Clips in the header. Each takes you to the classic view for the respective clips.
- Real name: We have added a field to each user’s profile page for your real name. Anyone who provides their name will have it displayed below their username when people visit their page and in the clipper card that appears on mouseover of any username. Here’s a link to the profile page where you can add your real name. We’d also like to request/suggest that users upload a real photo of themselves for your profile image. Our feeling is that the community on clipmarks.com would be a lot more welcoming if real faces and real names were available. If you’re interested, here’s a link to the page where you can upload a photo. To anyone who isn’t comfortable doing so, that is totally cool.
- No more hiding clips from certain users: While we know that this was an appreciated feature by many users, we were simply having too many technological side effects (site slowness and instability) from having to filter out clips from particular users for every single query on the site. The ability to ignore a user’s comments or prevent them from commenting on your clips is still available. We hope that you will simply avoid clips from user’s you don’t like and/or use your My Clippers list to create a feed of clips from your favorite users.
- Name your widget: You can give a name to any widget of clips on the site. If you want to see a widget for any set of clips on the site, you can click the “get widget” link at the top-right of any list of clips. From there, you’ll be able to customize the color, size and name of the widget and get code to embed it on your MySpace page, blog or anywhere else.
- Daily email sent again: We were having problems sending out the Daily Clips and My Clippers Digest emails, but these have been resolved. So anyone who subscribes to them should begin receiving them again immediately. Sorry about this!
- Video: For anyone who didn’t notice, we are now including video clips along with text and image clips in all feeds on the site (including the home page). The blog post below this one explains our thinking behind this change.
We’ll be rolling out lots more changes and new features over the coming weeks. We’ll keep you posted about them here.
Have a great weekend everyone!